Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

In order to lose weight, you have to create a calorie deficient diet. This can be by either exercising excess calories off or eating less calories to begin with. I have chosen a lifestyle change that does both. I am eating fewer calories and I am exercising excess calories off. I aim to consume/burn off 500 calories per day. This lets me lose about 1lb per week without having to think too much about it.

The grapefruit diet is not endorsed by the mayo clinic in any way. It wasn't until the last decade that they actually came up with a diet that they endorsed. Basically what it does - it makes you lose a lot of weight very quickly. I'm not endorsing this diet by any means, because I believe in a lifestyle change which will keep the weight off long term.

This is what the Grapefruit Diet consists of:

Breakfast: Any type of meat and eggs. 8oz of white unsweetened grapefruit. Water all morning
Dinner: Any type of meat and salad. 8oz of white unsweetened grapefruit. Water all afternoon.
Supper: Any type of meat and vegetables. 8oz of white unsweetened grapefruit. Don't eat after 7:30. Water if you want it.

You start on a Monday, follow it for 12 days and then you can cheat on your 13th and 14th day. Then that following Monday you start again.

Basically, you can have as much meat and salad/vegetable as you want. You just can't have any sort of breads, cereals, or anything of that nature. What it does is you get all of your good fats in the morning and the grapefruit basically "lights the fire" and starts you burning fat. Granted, when you lose a ton of weight to begin with, you are mostly losing water weight and not fat.

I like the idea of this diet, but not so strict. I can see where carbohydrates can add a lot of additional calories that your body doesn't necessarily need. However, it adds a lot of good proteins and it forces you to eat more plants, which is a good thing. I don't know of the significance of the grapefruit as being such a "fat burner" However there are people who genuinely lose weight on this diet.

I am going to adapt the concepts to my diet - however I am going to cheat on it because I am exercising more. I don't see the need to completely do without carbohydrates in my diet. Because I am jogging pretty much every day, I don't want to lose my muscle mass by not eating them. Plus, when you body thinks you are starving, it's going to store fat and not want to give it up. (This is also known as a plateau.)

I am going to start eating eggs and oatmeal for breakfast, I might try drinking grapefruit juice at first... I'm going to cut down on eating so much carbohydrates, however I'm not going to give it up. I'm also going to keep eating an apple or orange in the afternoon for a snack. I'm not going to do it as a crash diet what-so-ever. If I feel like eating something - I'm going to eat it. (granted not as much.)

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I feel special - people are advertising on my blog now :D

    Thank you, Doc.

    ReplyDelete